With the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life, many find it almost inconceivable to incorporate regular workouts at the gym into their busy schedules. However, that doesn’t mean we need to forego regular exercise altogether.
Believe it or not, having a consistent and effective routine from the comfort of your own home is possible. Even 30 minutes of physical activity can make a world of difference since every movement counts. Home workouts are a great way to stay in shape with little effort, so let's examine their main benefits more closely in the following post.
Just imagine all the time you’ll save by exercising at home. Everything is right at your fingertips — no tedious commute, equipment packing, changing clothes, and finding a parking spot. All you need is appropriate attire (you can even do it in your PJs), some space, and your workout of choice. This way, you can put all your energy into what matters.
Having spent the past few years trapped in a raging pandemic, we’ve put a lot of emphasis on sanitary conditions and keeping our spaces clean. And let’s face it — a room packed with sweaty people isn’t the most hygienic place on the planet, especially if you’re a bit of a germophobe. When you exercise at home, you won’t have to worry if the person before you on the treadmill washed their hands. Moreover, post-workout showers are much more relaxing if you can take them at your own pace.
When you work out at home, you're in control. That means you get to choose the music, the temperature, clothes, and most importantly, the exercises you’ll be doing. Browse the internet, and pick out activities that you find enjoyable. You can even mix a few routines up and create your own workout plan — the sky's the limit.
Worrying about the working hours of your favorite gym is a thing of the past. You can exercise anytime you like when you’re at home. Whether you’re an early bird who likes to hit those steps first thing in the morning or a night owl who likes to stretch after a long day at work — you can do it all. It's easy to fit in a workout from home whenever the mood strikes.
No matter how confident we are, self-consciousness can strike at the most inopportune times. Home workouts mean that you can let your hair down and focus on your exercise regime. You won’t have to worry about whether people are staring at how much you’re sweating or if others are in better shape than you. At home, you can set the comparisons aside and work on yourself unhindered by self-doubt.
Pricey gym memberships will become a thing of the past once you start exercising at home. And it won't be the only way you’ll save money — there’s no commute, so no parking or gas expenses. You might need to invest in some new equipment, but you can purchase a few essentials first and then work on enriching your home gym one step at a time. Some exercise routines only require a mat, resistance bands, and barbells. You can always start slow and build your way up to more complex machinery.
The secret to the best at-home workout is routine. Many people have given up exercising because of one reason or another. When you follow a workout plan from home, there’s little room for excuses. The weather will never be too extreme, there’ll always be enough room, you’ll always have at least 15 minutes to squeeze in a quick session, and you can even exercise in your pajamas because there’s no one to judge you for having a bedhead. Once you realize that, you’ll become more consistent with your exercise habits.
Tips and Tricks for More Effective Home Workouts
Okay, you’ve decided to switch to home workouts — now what? The following tips will help you make the most of your new exercise regime:
- Create a safe space. Make sure you have enough room to exercise without distractions. That means clearing away any furniture or plants that might get in the way.
- Follow your body metrics. Luckily, we live in an age where technology is king. Smart body fat scales like EROS can help you keep track of up to 13 different metrics, including your BMI and body fat percentage. You’ll be able to monitor your progress in just a few steps.
- Get ready. We know we said you need very little preparation for home workouts. While that is true, you’ll need to tie your hair, put on adequate footwear, and secure your mat. Safety should always come first!
- Don’t forget about the warm-ups and cool-downs. Even if you only have 15 minutes, you must prepare your body for the main portion of your workout. That means setting time aside to warm up and cool down. These exercises will lessen the risk of injury and help with muscle soreness.
- Set realistic goals. Before you even start exercising, take a look at your current form. Make sure to set realistic and achievable goals. Otherwise, you’ll be chasing the bigger picture and lose sight of what matters.
- Stick to a program. It might take a few tries, but once you find a regime that works for you — hold on to it. Select a routine that fits your needs most.
Working out from home has numerous benefits. However, simply deciding to exercise from home is not enough. You need to be motivated and consistent so you can see actual results. Speaking of results, make sure to keep track of your fitness journey. You can always get a diary and note any changes there. Alternatively, you can check out the EROS Smart Scale, which records up to 13 fitness metrics and stores all its findings in a handy app you can access at all times. Whatever you choose, remember that the outcome is up to you!